[Asterisk-Users] Need help understanding SIP phones

Jeff Donovan donovan at beth.k12.pa.us
Wed Mar 31 09:03:36 MST 2004

Greetings

i have been using asterisk with good success with soft phones and I
need to purchase some Sip capable phones to test.

How would/do vendor specific phones like cisco 7900's and 3Com VCX 3100
series phones work SIP to SIP if they download the protocol from the
Vendor call centers?

I want to build my own with Asterisk, and use different phones. They
say they are RFC 2543 compliant. Can you download the software and tftp
to the unit? How does it work?

any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

jeff donovan