[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 SIP Images

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Tue Mar 30 06:28:28 MST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 03:46:34AM -0500, Brian Capouch said:
> Rich Adamson wrote:
>

> >Wanta take a guess what would happen if Cisco decide to really enforce
> >the legal rules?
> >

> I'll bite:
>
> Their market share would plummet in all their markets, and then smaller,
> more innovative companies would become more able to compete with them,
> and the overall marketplace would be vastly improved because of more
> participants and more choices?

This is probably true. I would also hazzard a guess that most of the
people buying used Cisco gear don't have a clue that they don't have a
software license. There are also some that DO know, but don't care if
they are violating the license. That's a little too risky for me though.

For those of you in smaller shops, the HP procurve switches are quite
nice and have "lifetime" support and downloadable updates without
needing to "register". Don't know if they have POE versions which VOIP
implementors may be interested in however. You can also get a fully
managed 24 port layer 3 HP switch for about $200 on ebay.