[Asterisk-Users] asterisk @ home ?

kc2eni at nyc-ares.org kc2eni at nyc-ares.org
Mon Mar 29 15:40:28 MST 2004

Hi Shawn,

Simple really. Assuming your house is wired for data
litter your handsets about the house and then build the
* server.

When the analogue line rings have * ring all the SIP
phones at once.  Whoever picks up first gets the call.
If no-one picks up after say 30 seconds forward the
call to an IVR that offers different voicemails for
your family members. You can then offer you family
their own phones with VM and CWI etc.

Add to it a Washington State free phone number and you
have 2 lines in the house for the price of one (sorta).
In my house I buy dialtone from BroadVoice.com for $20
unlimited. My wife doesn't know she's using the
Internet when she calls her friends for over 3 hours at
a time. Luckily the house phone doesn't ring often and
so she's never had the experience where she's on the
phone and the house line rings.

If you have kids you can still offer them their own
phone but not allow them to make outside calls or call
longer than x minutes or even calls after 9pm by
setting up the rules in *. They can still have a call
transfered to their room or even pick up the forwarded
analogue line if its configured that way. Again, a free
WA state phone # comes in usefull here for teenage
girls.

If you need a hand I'd be happy to share what little
skill I have.

Mark