[Asterisk-Users] Opinion poll: best SIP phones for asterisk?

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Mon Mar 29 06:43:17 MST 2004

--On Monday, March 29, 2004 8:24 am -0500 Kevin <asterisk at gnosys.biz> wrote:

> Hi All-
>
> As I'm doing this, I'm considering installing an asterisk box at my
> office (about 6-10 different phone stations) and would like to get
> opinions on the best quality and/or most well-supported SIP hard phones
> and SIP soft phone clients.

Lot's of references to this topic on the list - a quick search will provide
loads of feedback.  At a top level:

- cheap option - Grandstream Budgetone - works well but current firmware is
buggy
- best option - Cisco - good * integration.  Make sure you get the phone
  supplied with SIP installed to avoid any support issues

> I see from John Todd's config files that
> the ATA-186 has (or had) some problems with asterisk, and I'm guessing
> that there are probably some other flukes that crop up with certain
> phones being connected to asterisk, so I thought I'd ask here before
> purchasing something in hopes of avoiding unnecessary hassles.

- works fine but call transfers can be tricky to action

  Iain