[Asterisk-Users] Opinion poll: best SIP phones for asterisk?

Kevin asterisk at gnosys.biz
Mon Mar 29 06:24:22 MST 2004

Hi All-

I've just finished setting up my first asterisk box with an X100P and
TDM40B, with basic asterisk config mostly from ManxPower's sample
configs.  Thanks for posting those, Manx, and thanks for your help on
IRC.

I'm also in the midst of carefully studying John Todd's config files,
and I'm pretty sure that I'll be using large chunks of his in my own.
Thanks in advance for sharing those, John, and for such extensive
comments and documentation in your files.

As I'm doing this, I'm considering installing an asterisk box at my
office (about 6-10 different phone stations) and would like to get
opinions on the best quality and/or most well-supported SIP hard phones
and SIP soft phone clients.  I see from John Todd's config files that
the ATA-186 has (or had) some problems with asterisk, and I'm guessing
that there are probably some other flukes that crop up with certain
phones being connected to asterisk, so I thought I'd ask here before
purchasing something in hopes of avoiding unnecessary hassles.

Many thanks to Mark Spencer and the rest of the development team for
creating and sharing asterisk.  It's a very nice product.  I've been
wanting something like this for a long time, and it sure looks like
asterisk does now (or will soon do) all that I've been wanting and
plenty more.  Though I'll admit to suffering some major frustration
from a scarcity of documentation, I think I may finally be starting to
get it through looking at examples and pointers from folks in IRC.

-Kevin

PS. What's the best source of documentation for the extensions.conf
file?  I don't see any in the second draft of the Asterisk Handbook,
not much that I can really make sense of in the wiki page
(http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+config+extensions.conf)
which seems to be full of forward references and many apparently
asterisk-specific references without definitions, and I don't see
anything specific to extensions.conf on
http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=documentation.  So far, the most
useful documentation of that file that I've found is John Todd's config
file with extensive comments.  Is there anything more complete?  If
not, just knowing that this is the case will help me because I'll stop
hunting for something that's not there.  TIA.