[Asterisk-Users] RxFax/spandsp: file-naming of received faxes

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Sun Mar 28 20:51:37 MST 2004

On Mar 28, 2004, at 7:40 PM, Martin List-Petersen wrote:

>> ; I'm using a shared analog line for testing this, so I'm using the
>> fax
>> ; autodetection code to yank faxes out of my IVR and into the 'fax'
>> ; pseudo-extension
>> [outside]
>>    exten => fax,1,Goto(fax,2201,1)
>
> I would be interested in how you do fax autodetection.

I don't do anything particularly special, Asterisk just makes it work.
This is using a bog-standard POTS line at home.  Here's the relevant
part of my config:

[macro-outsideline]
   exten => s,1,LookupCIDName
   exten => s,2,SetMusicOnHold(random)
   exten => s,3,Dial(${PHONES},13,Ttm)
   exten => s,4,Answer
   exten => s,5,Goto(outside-ivr,s,1)

[outside-ivr]
   ; This is the outside IVR
   ; Playback a "We're not home message"
   ; To leave a message for Scott, press 1
   ; To leave a message for C, press 2
   ; Otherwise stay on the line.
   ;
   ; Also, 3 => main voicemail
   ;       4 => check voicemail (main)
   ;       5 => check voicemail
   ;       6 => DISA (with password)
   ;
   ; Check for fax, too

   exten => s,1,NoOp
   exten => s,2,DigitTimeout(5)
   exten => s,3,ResponseTimeout(2)
   exten => s,4,Wait(1)
   exten => s,5,Background(laird/ivr-greeting)

   exten => t,1,VoiceMail(s2201)
   exten => t,2,Hangup

   ; other stuff goes here, but it's not really important

   exten => fax,1,Answer
   exten => fax,2,Goto(fax,2201,1)

[outside]
   exten => s,1,Macro(outsideline)
   exten => fax,1,Goto(fax,2201,1)

95% of this isn't important for faxing, but I included it for context.
The big issue is the IVR stuff and the 'fax' extension.  Once we get to
the IVR, asterisk is listening for DTMF tones and apparently also fax
tones.  If it hears a fax, then it goes to the 'fax' extension.  That's
it.

Scott