[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 as an IETF Standard?

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Thu Mar 25 20:07:11 MST 2004

On Mar 24, 2004, at 7:26 PM, Adam Hart wrote:

> Robert Hajime Lanning wrote:
>
>> <quote who="Adam Hart">
>>
>>> I also like to see two
>>> people behind the same nat being able to communicate directly
>>> (without
>>> requiring pin-wheeling). Ie The client attaches their private ip to
>>> the
>>> register packet, which is used when client A & B's public ips match.
>>>

>> 192.168.1.0/24 -- NAT-BOX -- Internet -- NAT-BOX -- 192.168.1.0/24
>>       |                         |                         |
>>   IAX phone                Asterisk-Box               IAX phone
>>
>> umm... I would suggest the default setting to be off, as the above
>> topology
>> would be very common.
>>

> from my post: "which is used when client A & B's public ips match."
> meaning in this situation both clients would have different public IPs
> and it wouldn't be used.

I'd say that if you wanted to do that, it might make sense to try it
even if the "public IPs" don't match.

With the current IAX2 transfer exchange, all that would happen is that
A would try sending a packet or two to to B's IP address [which would
be another host on A's network], which would either go to a dead host
and get no response, or an ICMP port unreachable would come back.  In
either case, the transfer would just not happen, and it's not like a
couple of packets sent to a local host would hurt anything.

OTOH, the only issue I could see with this is that this would then
expose your private numbering to the outside internet; i.e. a privacy
issue.  I don't think it's a big deal, but someone might not like it.

-SteveK