[Asterisk-Users] G.729 variants and Asterisk

Adam Hart adam at teragen.com.au
Thu Mar 25 16:05:29 MST 2004

Carlos Chavez wrote:

>     I see that I can purchase G.729 licenses for my Asterisk server, but I
>have seen that many phones support a G.729 variant like A or B.  Are these
>suppoted by the same G.729 codec in Asterisk?

B is just the fixed point version of A (from memory) - so it works the
same as A.

A is a reduced complexity version of G.729 - although they both work
with each other. A is just slack when looking for the best
representation of your voice.

FYI, Digium's codec is G.729A, although it makes little difference