[Asterisk-Users] Dropping voice to exceptionally long queue

Markus Mayer markus at calltrex.com
Thu Mar 25 15:40:23 MST 2004

Hi,

We experienced a problem this week on our asterisk box (ast-2) that has
a T1 coming in and talks over IAX2 to a second Asterisk box (ast-1). In
the current setup we use ast-2 for outgoing phone-calls only, it takes
calls (over IAX2) from ast-1 and routes those calls out over the T1.

This morning ast-2 would print out the following error message (1124
times total):

Mar 25 04:51:07 DEBUG[163851]: Dropping voice to exceptionally long
queue on IAX2[asterisk-001 at asterisk-001]/16385

After that it would no longer be possible to make outbound phone calls.
Ast-1 showed the IAX2 connection to the crashed/hung ast-2 as 'timed
out' (instead of 'registered'). In contrast to that 'iax2 registry show'
on the hung ast-2 would still show the IAX2 connection as 'registered'.

The exact same thing happened 2 days ago where ast-2 printed the above
error message about 800 times before hanging.

We had to killall -9 asterisk on ast-2 (because 'stop now' would hang
indefinitely) and restart it. After that ast-2 would immediately
re-register with ast-1 and everything would start working again.

Any pointers of what's wrong here?

Regards,
Markus