[Asterisk-Users] FreeBSD Segmentation Fault on start up

Joe Lewis joe at relia.net
Thu Mar 25 14:30:41 MST 2004

To all;

I've got two installations of asterisk.  The last one (installed a few
days ago) is from the FreeBSD ports, and many thanks, because it
compiled BEAUTIFULLY!  However, I can't run it.  Everytime I start
asterisk, I get a segmentation fault.  "asterisk -vvvvc" reveals :

[...snip...]
[codec_gsm.so] => (GSM/PCM16 (signed linear) Codec Translator)
   == Registered translator 'gsmtolin' from format GSM to SLINR, cost 1
   == Registered translator 'lintogsm' from format SLINR to GSM, cost 5
  [codec_mp3_d.so] => (MP3/PCM16 (signed linear) Translator (Decoder only))
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

So, I check the core dump to see what I can find, and get :

Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/asterisk/modules/codec_gsm.so...
(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/asterisk/modules/codec_gsm.so
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/asterisk/modules/codec_mp3_d.so...
(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/asterisk/modules/codec_mp3_d.so
Reading symbols from /libexec/ld-elf.so.1...(no debugging symbols found)...
done.
Loaded symbols for /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
#0  0x2953ff53 in unpack_huff ()
    from /usr/local/lib/asterisk/modules/codec_mp3_d.so
(gdb)

Would there, by chance, be a missing library or package that I need?
Could someone point out a possible solution?  (Maybe the port assumed I
have an mp3 library installed?)

Joe