[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 as an IETF Standard?

Steve steve at szmidt.org
Wed Mar 24 20:38:05 MST 2004

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 08:45 pm, James H. Thompson wrote:
> No guarantee then when public IPs match that clients are both on same NAT
> LAN.
>
> Client  A 192.168.0.1 ----- NAT Router A --------- NAT Router X with
> Public IP 123.123.123.123 --- Internet
> Client  B 192.168.0.1 ----- NAT Router B ---------|

The thing is that it's all controlled by your gateway configuration. This is
where you define where you find what. You must know the IP (or domain name
and use DNS) of where the recipient is. If you are calling a local host you
must know the IP. If you call an external host you must also must know his
internet address. He'd have a redirect in his firewall that would route to
his internal machine. You have no need/use of knowing what his internal IP
address is.

I've done all the above in many combinations.

I have one setup on CA and one in FL.

I have had CA call over IP to FL, then fwd the call to a local external land
line and call right back in again on another land line. I have called and
transferred calls to a local LAN phone as well as over the Internet.