[Asterisk-Users] Newbie seeks help: Getting Asterisk to run on Mandrake 9.2

Tue Mar 23 03:30:36 MST 2004

Hello, i was hoping someone from the list could point me in the correct
direction.  We recently purchased the Asterisk Developer's Kit (TDM) over
at this link: http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=developerskit_tdm

And now, i'm trying to get this to work in Mandrake 9.2.  I've gotten a
fairly recent source RPM that takes the source from CVS, compilies and
links, and provide three neat packages.  I've gotten the kernel modules to
load, the stock config files are in /etc/asterisk, and asterisk runs when
invoked by  asterisk -vvvvc

My problem now is that i can't seem to get a dial tone from the extension
phone.  (i've connected a phone to the FXS, and an outside line to the
FXO).  Alhtough the LED next to the phone socket lights up, and the phone
earpiece emits a tone when you press a key, there is no dialtone, and no
matter what you do, nothing happens => both on the screen/cli of asterisk
and the phone itself.  Silence.  When you call up the direct line, it just
rings forever.

Now, i'm thinking... config problem.  However the stock config files of
asterisk are a lot, and i haven't seen a config-set which is tailored to
my exact setup.  I've tried

   http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+quickstart

But that gets you going with SIP, which i think i'll do when i've gotten
the phone extension to "dial 9 for an outside line" successfully first.

Any ideas or pointers to a cookbook recipe would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Ian