[Asterisk-Users] E&M Signalling

Don Pobanz dpobanz at hastingsutilities.com
Mon Mar 22 15:27:01 MST 2004

On Monday, March 22, 2004 3:44 PM, Tilghman Lesher
[SMTP:tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com] wrote:
> On Monday 22 March 2004 15:35, David J Carter wrote:
> > I may need to connect to a system with E&M connectivity.
> > Am I right in assuming a T1 card and Channel Bank will give me this
> > connectivity?
>
> You typically do not need a channel bank when using E&M.  However,
> you will probably need a T1 crossover cable, if you are not
> connecting
> to the outside world (i.e. cross 1&2 with 4&5).

E&M trunks can be either analog or digital.

If the trunks are digital (a trunk per channel of a T1) then no channel
bank is needed. Just plug the T1 into your Digium card and configure
your zaptel.conf and zapata.conf files accordingly.

If the trunks are analog, you would need a channel bank capable of
converting E&M trunks to a T1 and plugging this into your Digium card.

Don Pobanz