[Asterisk-Users] Important: The Asterisk Mailing list(newsubject)

Jon Myers joeshmo at infoblvd.net
Sun Mar 21 18:48:16 MST 2004

The only thing I hate more than not having a proper reply-to on a mailing list (one that replies to the LIST) is the people who havn't been on the net long enough to know how mailing lists work, and their whole function.  Mailing lists are communities.  The primary function is to share procedures, patches, fixes, workarounds, programming knowledge, etc.. with the rest of the community.  Its the rare exception that once in a great while a topic strays off and goes personal/off-list.  This should happen when the community cannot benefit from the discussion, such as a private deal for equipment (which is sometimes frowned upon with lists, but sometimes enjoyed), or some basic hand-holding that goes beyond the scope of the list, and that the rest of the listmembers should know.  (I.E. someone asking how to setup Linux, thus not having anything to do with Asterisk, untill they get to the point where they can install Asterisk).

So, my vote is to keep the "reply-to" as going to the list.
Also, don't hijack subjects.  If you are going to use "reply" insted of post, at least re-write the subject line!

Please direct all flames privately, where they can be properly transfered to /dev/null

- - -   Jon Myers
"Online" since 1985 (I know, not longer than alot of prople, but more than a couple years).