[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 vs 7905

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Sun Mar 21 15:45:27 MST 2004

I'm interested in picking up a Cisco SIP phone, but I don't have enough
information to decide between the 7940/60 family and the 7905/12
family.  Between the wiki and Cisco's web site, it seems clean that the
7905/12 don't have a speakerphone, and that the 7905 doesn't have a
built-in Ethernet switch.  The wiki suggests that the 7905/12 has a
better SIP implementation and a higher-resolution screen, but that's
about all that I can find comparing the two.  Can anyone with both of
them give me a bit more information?

A few things that I'm interested in:

-  XML directory support: how many entries supported, how many lines
displayed on the screen on each?

-  SIP Alert-Info ringtones.  The 7960 can choose from the standard
bellcore set right now, but not custom tones.  How does the 7905
compare?

-  XML services.  Is there a difference, or indeed any documentation
anywhere?

-  SIP implementation quality.  The wiki suggests that the 7905 works
better, but with no examples.  Are there actually problems with the
7960?

-  Lifespan.  The 7960 is currently running v6.3, while the 7905 is
running v1.01.  Cisco seems to be be putting more work into the
higher-end family.

-  Subjective usability.  Does either one work or feel better?

Thanks.

Scott