[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 transfers - it's great!!!!

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Mar 20 15:22:22 MST 2004

I have a network of IAX servers connecting to each other. I just realized that IAX does some
clever magic by itself. Let me explain:
Let's say you have three servers: A, B and Q

A calls B with IAX2
B connects the call to Q with IAX2
B realizes that A can speak directly with Q and transfers the call so A speaks directly to Q without
any further involvement of B.

So you can easily build a mesh network with IAX2 where every call takes the optimal route without
you bothering with it.

Sometimes stuff just works.

If this is documented on the Wiki, I must spend time reading the Wiki again, because I wasn't aware
of this cleverness in IAX2.

It was a very pleasant surprise.

And yes, there's a config in iax.conf so you can turn it off if you for some reason want
to bother B with staying in the middle of the call.

Good luck IAX'ing :-)
/Olle