[Asterisk-Users] Qualify statement

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Mar 20 06:03:29 MST 2004

Senad Jordanovic wrote:

> Does anyone know if "qualify=XXX" should be used ONLY for user agents
> behind NAT.
No, you can use it to qualify any address. Qualification means that
Asterisk regurlarly sends SIP messages with the OPTION method and
the UA answers. We clock the time and if the client takes too much
time to answer or doesn't answer, it's set as UNREACHABLE until
next time it answers. Calls will not be placed to unreachable
peers.

> I tried to use it on a devices (ATA 186 and SPA 2000) on a public IP,
> and * goes to segmentation fault every time it starts.

Does it crash even if you remove Qualify= from sip.conf?

TO help you we need to get more information, a core file and your configuration.

Check how to debug asterisk
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+debugging
Report on the bug tracker http://bugs.digium.com

> If it is meant to be used just behind NAT fine, but what and how does *
> monitor user agent status?
Even if it was, Asterisk shouldn't crash. Never ever.

/O