[Asterisk-Users] MOH: Copyright issues?

Alex Volkov avolkov at bpvn.com
Fri Mar 19 10:54:57 MST 2004

AFAIK, in US the copyright expires 25 years after the original copyright
holder (author, recording artist, but not sure about an assignee) dies, or
after ~70 years from the date of creation (in cases where a corporation
holds a copyright for sure), but do not hold your breath, as the companies
like Disney constantly lobby to extend this period, otherwise you would
certainly see Mickey Mouse cartoons in public domain by now.
As far as royalties are concerned, I suppose MOH in US  for some company
could be considered on par with a bar, which translates to pennies per
played song, as long as no more than ~100 people are listening to it at
once.
But please do not take this a as sound law advice, as I am no lawyer ;-).

Cheers!
Alex.