[Asterisk-Users] Project

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Thu Mar 18 17:24:42 MST 2004

I want to set up a Linux answering machine/voice mail deal that will
e-mail me phone messages. I looked into the "voice modem" (vgetty)
stuff, but I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about it from reading
the mailing lists - much of it old and not encouraging - and it seems
that there is not a lot of manufacturers of voice modems today etc.

I currently have a Panasonic KX-T616 phone system and the hand sets. Are
there any Asterisk systems that would support them? I could just upgrade
to a newer digital Panasonic system and continue to use the handsets
(there is a serial interface I could talk to via linux)? Perhaps all I
need is some type of phone card that can act as an answering machine
connection?

I am also looking into the possibility of replacing the Panasonic
equipment with an asterisk system - but I have some doubts. It seems to
me that a PBX should have a RTOS that Linux might talk to - my
background is EE with work with embedded micros so I realize there are
limitations in using linux as "the switch".

My needs are humble - I have 3 CO lines and 16+ extensions - I would
like to end up with something OSS/GPL if I can.  It would be nice to
detect Fax calls and run caller ID to the LCD on the telephones.

Should I be looking at Asterisk?

What hardware should I consider?

I wouldn't be against paying someone on this list for a 1/2 hour phone
consultation if you know this stuff inside out.

I also humbly worry about maintaining something written in perl, as perl
is a "write only" programming language in my experience. Most any other
language would be easier to maintain (I've written a few things in perl
- there is nothing quite like coming back and looking at my own perl
code from a few years ago and finding I don't a clue as to what I was
doing with less than a exhaustive inspection.)
Karl Schmidt EMail    Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street  Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049    FAX(785) 841-0434

When angry count four; when very angry, swear. --Mark Twain