[Asterisk-Users] Explain ring tones

Kevin Williams kwilliams at applianz.com
Thu Mar 18 15:28:58 MST 2004

> Can anyone explain why the hell it seems impossible to find
> a VOIP phone with a good selection of NORMAL (5 years ago)
> cell-style ringtones?  Not tunes, not a POTS ringback tone,
> but a good selection of shrill, easy to identify and
> businesslike ringing tones???!?!?!!!!!??

No kidding.  Imagine my surprise when it sounded like my VOIP phone was dialing out on its own (The Grandstream phones use a POTS ringback tone).  I picked up the handset and there was someone on the line!

How did that even make sense to Grandstream?  Why would you want your phone to use the same sound for a call coming in as a call going out??

--
Kevin Williams
  Senior Developer