[Asterisk-Users] Problems with asterisk and gnophone on Gentoo box

Kevin asterisk at gnosys.biz
Thu Mar 18 11:46:45 MST 2004

On Thursday 18 March 2004 11:29, Alastair Maw wrote:
> On 18/03/04 15:40, Kevin wrote:
> > I seem to be having problems using my sound card with asterisk and
> > gnophone in a Gentoo system (not sure if it being Gentoo is
> > important or not, but thought I'd mention it just in case).  I have
> > the following errors when starting gnophone:
>
> Looks to me like you're probably using ALSA but you don't have its
> OSS compatibility layer enabled.
>
> emerge alsa-oss
>
> Check out:
>   - http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

Thanks for your reply, Alastair.  I did use that guide in getting myself
set-up with sound, and do have alsa-oss installed:

bash-2.05b# epm -qa | grep alsa
alsa-lib-1.0.2
alsa-oss-1.0.2
alsa-utils-1.0.2
alsa-tools-1.0.2
alsaplayer-0.99.75-r1
alsa-driver-1.0.2c

Is there any other special configuration of asterisk that needs to be
done?  I know I made some manual changes to the /etc/modules.d/alsa
file during my initial setup of sound.  Does asterisk need a special
alias in it perhaps, or should my /dev/dsp be an alias to something
else (not that I understand these aliases all that well...)?

bash-2.05b# cat /etc/modules.d/alsa| grep -v \#

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss