[Asterisk-Users] Softfax/spandsp

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Mar 18 07:06:46 MST 2004

Hi all,

It seems this week's release of spandsp fixed the major problems in the
previous release, but still people have had a lot of trouble. Working
with some of those who tried the software and gave me good feedback, I
have identified some apparently common bugs in fax machines, and I have
implemented workarounds for these in spandsp, and feedback so far seems
good. I also fixed a couple of bugs. I think this version will work
proper with a much wider range of fax machines. However, people have
warning me that fax machines have a bad habit of not following the specs
properly :-(

There is now a new tarball at
ftp://ftp.opencall.org/pub/spandsp/spandsp-0.0.1b.tar.gz   Please try
this, and report any problems you find. This version has the following
changes:

    A floating point exception has been fixed
    A problem with the software not properly
    Some fax machines send a little less than the specified 1.5 seconds
of training test data, so the training test failed every time. I now
only look for 1.25seconds of training test data.
    Some fax machines do not correctly initialise the scrambler in their
V.29 transmit modem. I have changed the software to tolerate this.
    Some fax machines send a burst of ones before the burst of zeros
that forms the training test data. I have changed the software to
tolerate this.

Regards,
Steve