[Asterisk-Users] Fax Detection on X100Ps

Bob Klepfer bob at photon-x.com
Wed Mar 17 13:10:51 MST 2004

I hate to add to the broken record-like melange of "my fax won't work"
messages, but everything I've tried with all I could learn from the
archives has not yet worked to get my fax machine (an HP combo
tupperware tub) to receive a fax.  In the combo's defense, I can't
verify that the incoming fax tones are even detected on the * server.
(is -vvvvc enough v's to see "Fax detected" messages from the zap
channel?).  The fax extension is never dialed and the incoming fax gets
dumped to my timeout extension.  Can anyone spot the bonehead move I
made somewhere?

The setup:
* Server with 2 X100p cards handling our two incoming analog lines.
  (Gentoo, if it matters---2.4.22-r7 sources)
* SIP only (so far) internally---no FXS cards
* An HP combo fax/copier/printer/dish cleaner connected to a GS
  Handytone 286 ATA
* Incoming and outgoing voice calls are routed fine
* Although I didn't have another machine to fax TO, the HP dials out and
  spews CNG tones
* zap context is "default", "default" context contains fax extension
* on reload, status includes: "-- Added extension 'fax' priority 1 to
  default"

Version: (cvs'd last night and built, previous version cvs'd and built
mid-Feb)
===================
Asterisk CVS-01/27/04-23:36:00 built by root at asterisk on a i686 running
Linux

Config files:
==================
in extensions.conf:
------------------
[default]
;
exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,2,Ringing
exten => s,3,Wait,2
exten => s,4,Background(photonx/welcome)
exten => s,5,Background(photonx/choose)
exten => s,6,Background(photonx/directory)
exten => fax,1,Dial(SIP/ata4fax) ; [1]
exten => fax,2,Hangup()
;
<snip>
-------------------
[1] (Awaiting an opportunity to test "d" option mentioned on list
(documentation for this?))

===================
in sip.conf:
-------------------
[general]
port = 5060
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0
context = internal

<snip>

[ata4fax]
type=friend
username=ata4fax
secret=atafax
context=internal
host=dynamic
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
dmtfmode=inband             ; (Was "info": neither an issue, I think)
canreinvite=no
-------------------

===================
in zapata.conf:
-------------------

[channels]
;                  ; generally stock - no calling options on our lines
language=en
context=default
usecallerid=no
hidecallerid=no