[Asterisk-Users] Re: Calling one local SIP user from another (using X-Lite)

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Mar 16 04:28:16 MST 2004

Ross Finlayson wrote:

>>> voice mail.  However, if I try to call "user2" from user1's X-Lite -
>>> or vice-versa - I get a "404 Not Found" error.
>>

>>> Is there anything obvious that I'm doing wrong?  (In particular, do I
>>> also need to add entries to "extensions.conf" for "user1" and "user2"??)
>>>
>>>         Ross.
>>

>> Try adding something similer to this in the default context of your
>> extensions.conf:
>> exten => <your exten>,1,Dial(SIP/user1,20, tr)
>> exten => <your exten>,1,Dial(SIP/user2,20, tr)

Always remember that device names - peers, users, friends - in any channel are
not the same as extensions. You call extensions (defined in extensions.conf)
and the Dial application connects an extension to a device on a channel.

If you're used to a SIP proxy, this is not very easy to understand. I confuse
myself regurlarly in this area.

You have to remember that Asterisk is a multiprotocol (VoIP and PSTN)
PBX where we have to define a protocol-neutral layer to connect everything
together. This layer is the dial plan in the file extensions.conf.

Believe me, you will appreciate it when you get the whole picture.

Welcome to the world of Asterisk!

/O