[Asterisk-Users] x100p CLI in the UK

Patrick Lidstone (Personal E-mail) patrick at lidstone.net
Tue Mar 16 01:42:16 MST 2004

> First, is the lack of UK CLI on the x100P hardware or
> software related?

Don't know. AIUI the primary difference between BT and Bell caller
id standards is that BT requires:

- Hardware to detect line reversal prior to first ring indicating
imminent arrival of the CID data
- And then to detect FFSK CID data burst in the on-hook state prior to
first ring

In contrast to the Bell standard which sends FFSK burst between first
and second ring in the on-hook state.

> Secondly, My US Robotics Voice modem does get UK CLI, so
> could I get UK
> CLI and the same functionality as the x100p using a USR Modem with *?
>
> Has anyone done this?

Not quite this way, but yes. I use a Pegasus Meteor to achieve
the same end result. See
www.crucible-technologies.co.uk/caller-display.asp
Although it is expensive, it is completely reliable - anecdotal evidence
suggests that USR modems don't perform consistently with BT CID. If you
are
handy with a soldering iron, you could also consider modifying caller
display units
 - they can be had for less than a fiver at The Link or similar, and
just require
the addition of a serial driver chip to interface them to a PC.
The serial data output from these units is virtually
identical to the meteor and is well documented (since it's specified
and documented as part of the BT standard).

> As an aside, has anyone experienced or solved the problem
> with the x100p
> producing a loop condition on the PSTN line (it really mucks
> up my ADSL
> connection something horrid when it is connected).
> I think it is due to an impedance mismatch between the card and the
> network, but have no way of testing these things. (Dont know
> enough to
> just get out my meter and start probing without risk of
> killing my x100p
> or the POTS Line)
> I know the Loop condition is there as a kindly BT eng was
> monitoring the
> line and asking me to plug things in, when the x100p was
> plugged in he
> said something along the lines of: "theres your problem, what did you
> just plug in? It is creating a 36 K Ohm Loop condition"

I have an X100P on an ADSL enabled line and it works fine, with no
noticeable signal loss reported on the router - but my line is close
to the exchange in an urban environment.

Patrick