[Asterisk-Users] MySQL Dynamic Extensions

Tony Wasson wasson at azxws.com
Mon Mar 15 16:46:03 MST 2004

Darren Nay wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> I am just looking into Asterisk as a viable voicemail solution for our phone
> service.  In order to use it though I will need to make extensions.conf
> dynamic (ie. Via MySQL).  Is this possible?

Sure..

Set up the database as you see documented. You can schedule this up to
once a minutes using crontab.

Setting something like this in your /etc/crontab should do it nicely....

*/5 * * * * root /usr/local/sbin/update-voicemail 2>&1 > /var/log/vm.log

NOTE: You can increase the frequency by using */3 or */1. */5 means
every 5 minutes. */3 means every 3 minutes.

Then make /usr/local/sbin/update-voicemail look like:

   #!/bin/bash
   /path/to/retrieve_extensions_from_mysql.pl
   /usr/sbin/asterisk -rx "extensions reload"

Next, make the script executable
#chmod +x /usr/local/sbin/update-voicemail

This is not totally dynamic, but it ought to be close enough. You could
make this completely dynamic using a trigger.

Tony Wasson