[Asterisk-Users] Which CODEC is my phone using?

John Fraizer tvo at enterzone.net
Sat Mar 13 22:26:52 MST 2004

Carlos Chavez wrote:
 >      Is there a way to know which Codec a particular phone is using?  I have
 > several devices which support different codecs and I would like to find out
 > which one was negotiaded with Asterisk.  Is there a CLI or Manager command to
 > get this information?
 >
 > --
 > Carlos Chavez
 > Computer Engineer, CCNA
 > Corporativo Lacer S.A. de C.V.

OK.  You've got the word "Engineer" and the initials "CCNA" as well.

This should be a no-brainer man.

Think CLI.  Now, think IOS (or pretty much ANY other CLI)... What do you
type when you want to know what you can do?

Hit the "?" at the CLI prompt.

*CLI> ?
!           abort       add         database    debug       dont
dump        exit        extensions  help        iax2        include
init        load        logger      mgcp        no          pri
quit        reload      remove      restart     set         show
sip         soft        stop        unload      zap

Now, if we dig around a bit, we can find the following commands...

*CLI> sip show channels
Peer             User/ANR    Call ID      Seq (Tx/Rx)  Lag      Jitter  Format
xx.xxx.xxx.x    100         000bbe40-41  00101/00103  00000ms  0000ms  ULAW
1 active SIP channel(s)

*CLI> iax2 show channels
Peer             Username    ID (Lo/Rem)  Seq (Tx/Rx)  Lag      Jitter  Format
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  username   16384/16384  00003/00004  00000ms  0000ms  ULAW
1 active IAX channel(s)

John