[Asterisk-Users] Cannot call extensions or make outgoing calls

Joseph Tanner joseph at thetechguide.com
Fri Mar 12 15:12:43 MST 2004

I compiled Asterisk last night from the "stable" cvs branch.  I have two
X101P cards, and three Quicknet Phonejack ISA cards.  Asterisk is able to
receive calls on both lines, and all three extensions are at least partly
working.  Here's basically what it's doing:

I can pick up any extension and get a psuedo dial-tone.  I can call ext
500 for the demo, or 600 for the echo test.  Both work fine (I hear myself
on the echo test, so audio's working both ways).  When I dial an actual
extension (whether from another extension or after calling into asterisk),
the phone on that extension will ring.  When I pick up the extension
that's ringing though, both lines give a fast-busy and I get this error in
the CLI:

    -- Called phone2
    -- Phone/phone2 is ringing
    -- Phone/phone2 answered Zap/2-1
Mar 12 15:56:14 WARNING[245776]: chan_phone.c:417 phone_read: Error
reading: Input/output error
    -- Hungup 'Phone/phone2'
  == Spawn extension (default, 421, 1) exited non-zero on 'Zap/2-1'
    -- Hungup 'Zap/2-1'

That example was when I dialed into asterisk from an outside line, then
called one of the extensions; but the same "phone_read: Error reading:
Input/output error" error comes up when dialing from extension to
extension.

Also, it throws up a similar error when I try to make an outgoing call.
Here's what I get:

    -- Executing Dial("Phone/phone2", "Zap/1/16155551212") in new stack
    -- Called 1/16155551212
    -- Zap/1-1 answered Phone/phone2
Mar 12 16:13:03 WARNING[245776]: chan_phone.c:417 phone_read: Error
reading: Input/output error
    -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'
  == Spawn extension (default, 99317216871, 1) exited non-zero on
'Phone/phone2'
    -- Hungup 'Phone/phone2'

I edited out the actual number and replaced it with "16155551212".  The
number I'm dialing on the extension is "96155551212" (in the dialing rules
I have it add a "1").  FYI, the number I'm calling never rings.

Hopefully it's just something stupid I'm doing on my end, but I've gone
over all the config files and don't see what I could have done wrong, that
would give these results.