[Asterisk-Users] PCI front mount chassis?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Mar 12 08:38:10 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 08:55, Bruno Haas wrote:
> Wow, 1000 IRQs a second. I'm quite amazed. Does anybody know which
> applications would require such a low latency ? It does seem to me that
> this way of doing things is rather dangerous and prone to problems.
> Anybody can comment ?

It isn't so much that the software needs it but the hardware. Part of
what makes other telephony hardware so expensive is the extra cpu power
on card and the memory on card to use for buffering. The 1000 interrupts
a second is so you can pick up a byte of data per channel each time.

BTW, any modem technology is going to require at least a consistent
latency if not a near nill added latency.