[Asterisk-Users] IAX Connection-Latency/Bandwidth Question

Stephen Varga svarga at s4nets.com
Wed Mar 10 20:11:47 MST 2004

On Thursday 11 March 2004 02:39 am, admin wrote:
> Ping times (latency) and bandwidth are really not related unless you are
> filling the pipe.  Your ping times are too high.  My understanding is that
> anything over 100ms is not good.  Your problem probably lies with too many
> hops or slow or overburdened router along the path.

Actually the ping times aren't too high, we have VoIP toll-bypass that runs
over satalite which is about 500ms latency, the call quality is good using
g729. The biggest  problem after not having sufficient bandwidth is jitter,
based on your the differences on the ping times supplied I would suspect you
would  probably have a problem with jitter. You won't know until you try it
though.

Steve