[Asterisk-Users] Small office requirements - Can this be done?

Michael T Farnworth mtf at maximasystems.com
Wed Mar 10 13:41:00 MST 2004

Mark Phillips wrote:
> What codecs are you using? You should be able to get quite a few speex
> channels or even a load of 729 or gsm channels down your 256K.
>
> Mark

You always have to remember that a UK ADSL line has a contention ratio
of 20:1 if you have business ADSL or 50:1 if you have the consumer option.

This means that in the worst event you could find out that your 256K on
a business line is actually 12Kbit/s and the consumer option is only
around 1Kbit/s.  These are worst case scenario, but it would mean event
one GSM call was too big to get down the pipe.  In reality I suspect you
would probably never see more than 4-5 people competing with you, but
even then it is only around 50-64Kbit/s.  I often find I get pretty much
the full pipe, but you can't really plan on that and it would be bad to
run too many calls over the line at a time.  Typically we find that 5 is
about the reasonable limit.

Michael

--
Michael T Farnworth