[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Codecs [G.729]

John Fraizer tvo at enterzone.net
Wed Mar 10 12:41:28 MST 2004

You need to decide if you're going to measure both sides of the call or not.
  ITU standard is 64Kbits/s.  That is correct.  It is a standard DS0.  But,
guess what.  That DS0 goes both directions so, "measured bandwidth per call"
is 128Kbits/s using your logic.

Only "consumer" grade DSL/Cable bandwidth is asymmetric. These "wanna-be"
connections and the accompanying garbage that the sales/marketing monkeys
spew (that the general public laps up as accurate) have done nothing but
cause confusion to people who don't work the network side of the industry.

[rent on]
(Besides that, it makes their peering ratio so lopsided that there is no way
they're going to get any decent no-settlement bilateral peering and as such,
the price of those connections is going to remain artificially high since
the providers have to PURCHASE transit instead of simply peering.) [rant off]

When I order an OC3, it's 155Mb/s in BOTH DIRECTIONS.  The industry doesn't
say "That's 310Mb/s of bandwidth" because the measure of circuit bandwidth
is by maximum one-way FLOW.  You can (on paper) flow 155Mb/s in one
direction on an OC3 (including encapsulation overhead).

So, if you want to use accepted telco + IP metrics for measuring the flow
(and thus the bandwidth), you look at the GREATER OF THE IN/OUT flow and
that is how much bandwidth is required.

ULAW = 83Kbits/s including encapsulation overhead.

John