[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Codecs [G.729]

Andrew Gillham gillham at vaultron.com
Tue Mar 9 15:45:05 MST 2004

Andrew Gillham wrote:

> <Unavailable ID> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm looking for advice for codec that works best for asterisk.
>> Anyone has real testing with all codecs, specially with G.729.  I
>> have tested with single call on few codecs that come with asterisk by
>> using IPTraf and the rate as of below:
>>
>> ulaw 64 Kbps, sample-based Also known as alaw/ulaw 166kbits/sec
>> alaw 64 Kbps, sample-based Also known as alaw/ulaw 167kbits/sec
>> gsm 13 Kbps (full rate), 20ms frame size   66kbits/sec
>> speex 2.15 to 44.2 Kbps     n/a
>> iLBC 15Kbps,20ms frame size: 13.3 Kbps, 30ms frame size 57.6kbits/sec
>> G.729 8 Kbps, 10ms frame size    license
>>
>> Have anyone test it with G.729?  Please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Are some of these numbers for the full-duplex traffic?

Ok, my question doesn't even seem that clear to me. :-)

What I mean, is that the G.711 numbers for example look like both
directions *combined* so the actual rate would be more like 83Kbit/s.
(much like listed on the wiki page)

So for G.711 a/ulaw, gsm, iLBC etc I was wondering if that is a single
direction, or the combination of both directions?

-Andrew