[Asterisk-Users] nec etw-8-1 (bk)tel or other pbx handset to asterisk

Zot O'Connor zot at zotconsulting.com
Tue Mar 9 14:11:42 MST 2004

My new office has old  handsets.  The phone says nec etw-8-1 (bk)tel
Which referecenes on the net as an NEC Electra Pro.

Not much is known about the unit(s) here.

I do not want to make *too* many waves, yet.  I do want to ditch the
base unit here for a VoIP based on.

I am thinking along the lines of

   Wall -> XP100 -> Asterisk -> USB Headset -> Software VoIP (iaxcomm)

I have this working at my old office but the Wall is a POTS line, and I
am attaching Asterisk -> IAX2/SIP -> Laptop/VoIP software -> USB

I see a few problems ahead:

What signaling comes off the wall?  Can an XP100 talk to it?

Where does the intercom line go?  They use it alot.  It automatically
blares into the office on Speaker (though that might be setable) and it
is used as a PA system.

Can I use the intercom back out?  If they blast me, I blast them :)

Do I need some other piece of equipment than the XP100?

Assuming I make a few more waves, is there  better way to do this at the
PBX end that will result is the same thing (everyone thinks I am using
the NEC handset).

At this point I'd be happy with a manual :)

--
Zot O'Connor <zot at zotconsulting.com>
White Knight Hackers, Inc.