[Asterisk-Users] Grandstream Budgetone SIP registration fails

Jean-Marc V. Liotier jim at jipo.com
Tue Mar 9 09:12:30 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 16:58, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> Jean-Marc V. Liotier wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 18:50, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> >
> >> If you configure a static address, the PBX already know how to reach
> >> the client and no registration is therefore needed (and not allowed
> >> in asterisk).
> >>
> >> Enabling registration makes the SIP device mobile across the network.
> >> Configuring a static address locks it in.
> >
> > Asterisk logs messages such as "Peer '6040' isn't dynamic"; how does
> > Asterisk determine wether the SIP client's IP address is statically
> > or dynamically assigned ?
>
> The message "Peer '6040' isn't dynamic" is there to try to tell you
> that a peer you configured with a static IP is trying to register,
> and Asterisk will not let it register, since it's a static configuration.
>
> It's the host= field in sip.conf that determines if a peer is dynamic
> or static.

Ok, so the default option is that the client is assumed to be statically
addressed, and registration is therefore rejected because it would be
redundant. In order to allow SIP registration with a login and a
password, host=dynamic must be set. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Thanks for your answers.