[Asterisk-Users] Small office requirements - Can this be done?

Simon Coles simonc at amphora-research.com
Mon Mar 8 15:17:12 MST 2004

--On Tuesday, March 2, 2004 9:49 am +0000 Steve Kennedy
<steve-asterisk at gbnet.net> wrote:

> That's the crunch (1.5/512) ... it's actually the 512 which is relevent.
> Virtually all DSL in the UK is a wholesale product from BT (they have
> about 2 million customers, Easynet who local loop unbundle may have
> 20,000, the rest of the providers maybe another 10,000 between them).
>
> All BT ADSL is 256K upstream, all BT DSL is contented (in theory 20:1
> and 50:1, but actually a lot less than that), there are a few providers
> doing their own contention over BT's product.
>
> However the 256K upstream is still the limiting factor, so you can get
> one, and MAYBE two VoIP lines over it. If BT would up the upstream to
> 512, you could probaly get 4 out of it ....

We haven't set it all up yet, but for our new UK office we've gone with
ADSL from Andrews & Arnold (http://www.aaisp.net/) who will let you bond 2
ADSL lines together to get 512 upstream. We only moved in a couple of days
ago so I haven't had a chance to set it all up yet :-(

Simon

Simon J. Coles                      Email: simonc at amphora-research.com
Amphora Research Systems            Phone (Europe): +44 (0)845 2300160
http://www.amphora-research.com/    Phone (USA):       +1 513 697 4764
=============== Life is too precious to take seriously ===============