[Asterisk-Users] Strange problem

Matt Riddell matt at surecall.co.nz
Sat Mar 6 08:04:31 MST 2004

One of my winblows machines died last week (too much adware, spyware, and a
bad windows update etc) and I needed to reinstall.

Before it died, IAXcomm and Firefly both worked (with the exception that
firefly only rang for 30ms and then passed me the audio from the remote end
of the call).

Since reinstalling, audio from IAXcomm has become incredibly choppy (I am
just dialing in to Voicemail).  Firefly is still the same.

I'm not using anywhere near my full bandwidth with either softphone.

I have enabled DMA etc on hard disks and have optimised the system back to
what it was.

It would appear they are both using GSM codec, and I am at a loss as to what
may have caused this to happen.

If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated as long as it isn't
"install linux", as I would, but this machine needs to be running some music
creation software which is not available under linux (buzztracker).

All other system software runs as before including the cpu/memory intensive
java development environment.

Has anyone seen anything similar? I realise that it may be hard to detect as
most would assume bandwidth to be the problem.

The PC is running the latest updates to WIN98SE on 1000Mhz with 296Mb RAM.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Matt Riddell