[Asterisk-Users] ?Application & Hardware Recommendation

Hopper hopper at barpassport.org
Fri Mar 5 07:28:02 MST 2004

Greetings All!

I just found Asterisk and am new this list.

I have a home office that I have an old DOS based IVR Telephone System
(Telepro) running on an old 386 pc and Dialogic D41D board.  I would like
to upgrade
to something new and came across Asterisk.  I have read the documentation
and it does
appear very flexible, but I thought I would run my questions by the list,
before I jump in.

My current setup looks something like this.

Extensions
When someone enters an extension it will either be routed to an outside
number, for example

Joe is at ext 400.  Caller enters 400 and is placed on hold while phone
system dials Joe's Cell phone if Joe does not answer phone system tries his
home number.  If Joe answers, phone system announce, I have a call for you,
Press 1 to Accept Press 2 To Decline.  Joe presses 1, call is transferred
to him.  Joe presses 2, call is sent to next number, if no further numbers,
call is sent vm.

Or virtually, for example

Caller presses 1 for general sales.  Screen Prompt appears stating Sales
Call Accept/Busy.  Pickup phone click accept and call is released.  Click
busy or prompt times out (no response) call is routed to next number or to vm

Does Asterisk make sense as a replacement for this system?

What hardware would you recommend?

I have two incoming centrix lines.

Thanks for any info.

~Hopper