[Asterisk-Users] 3com NBX phones

Nicolas Bougues nbougues-listes at axialys.net
Fri Mar 5 01:17:15 MST 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 04:32:52PM -0500, Clif Jones wrote:
> I know a little history on the 3com SIP phones... We have about a dozen
> of them
> where I work.  I'm not familiar with the NBX100 model number but the ones we
> have are labeled: P/N: 655005001.  The first ones didn't support SIP out
> of the
> box and had to be upgraded with a new flash image.  I can't recall if
> they came from
> the factory with H323 or the 3com proprietary IP protocol but the phones
> look just
> like the 3com PBX phones you see in small businesses.  3com abandoned
> the phone
> after spinning off the SIP division (Commworks?) and determining that
> the phone
> hardware just didn't have the resources to continue work on SIP.  It is
> a shame because
> these phones boot faster than any other IP phone I have seen and have a
> good speakerphone.
> The image that we use is pre-RFC3261 but would probably work with Asterisk.

I have the same phones here (two of them). Got them directly from 3com
in late 2000 I think.

They were never distributed in the channel I think (at least not here
in Europe). Mine arrived "SIP ready", and I flashed them once with a
standard TFTP procedure. Unfortunatly, 3com discontinued them, no more
firmware are available, AFAIK. My firmware is 1.0.1.21.0 SIP.

Unfortunatly I'm not able to find this latest firmware on file.

Note that the hardware is probably not the same as the standard NBX
phones : my SIP phones did feature an IR sensor to be used by a Palm
for automated dialing.

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive