[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk fault tolerance and a embedded hardware solution.....??

Randall Shimizu rshimizu at consultant.com
Thu Mar 4 23:00:27 MST 2004

Asterisk fault tolerance and a embedded hardware solution.....??

Has anyoone tried implement Asterisk as a hardware based solution similar to Soekris firewall....?

Asterisk & fault tolerance: I ran across this posting about Asterisk
and here is some interesting thoughts to ponder

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=aca5dd1d9141c07addd9d3414e934380%40free.teranews.com&rnum=14

Not blow anyone's ASTERISK bubble BUT,,,,,,,

"Show me an Asterisk system that can:

1) Have a communication bus that can survive the removal of the CPU,
and
still have calls in progress that remain active until the calling
parties
hang up.

Difficult problem to solve. One would have to have some sort of
parallel network connection. Perhaps one could have a buffering or
cache solution.

The CPU problem could be solved by a blade server or failover.

2) I have yet to hear of any Asterisk box running a fully redundant
CPU
configuration. I bet this is possible.	Especially with the newer hot
swap
cPCI bus systems and slave CPU cards.  Even better if the chassis has
and
embedded H.110, or equivalent in LAN/memory, switching bus.

Yes could be solved.

3) A redundant configuration where either CPU can talk to the
communications
boards (T1/E1), and LAN interfaces.  And which can address all boards
in the
system redundantly.

Sounds like a job for Infiniband or a platform that has a switched
crossbar architecture like IBM P-Series or Sun.

4) A redundant configuration that has either shared system memory
between
the CPU's, or at least table copies between memory that hold all
static and
dynamic call information.

5) A redundant configuration that can swap between system CPU's in
less than
20 seconds.

6) A redundant configuration that can synchronize on, and share one,
two ,
and more network clocking signals.  Plus synchronize on a independent
stratum 3 or greater clock source.

7) And can support 1,000 or more endpoints (TDM and/or IP) without
choking
on it's own guts.

8) A redundant configuration that can synchronize on, and share one,
two ,
and more network clocking signals."

Well it's a lot to ask, but enterprise computing demands a lot.