[Asterisk-Users] Newbie questions, call waiting/700 calling/etc...

Brian R. Swan swannie at swannie.net
Thu Mar 4 10:30:12 MST 2004

Hi gang,

I've just set up my Asterisk server with a X100P (talking to a Vonage Motorola
do-dad), and a Cisco IP7960 SIP phone.  All is working quite will with
outbound and inbound calling.  However, I have a few questions.

First, regarding call waiting on Vonage/X100P, how do I "click over" to the
call from my Cisco phone?  I searched the archives and docs but can't seem to
find any information on this.  Along those same lines, is there any way to
get call waiting caller ID working with this as well?  I have what I believe
are the appropriate lines in my Zapata.conf file (usecallerid=yes,
callerid=asreceived, callwaiting=yes, calleridcallwaiting=yes), but it
doesn't seem to work.

Second, I got myself set up with an IAXtel number, I was wondering if there
are any 700 test numbers out there that will read back the calling number, do
an echo test, request a call back, etc.  Mostly I want this for testing, and
don't want to disturb any 700 number users. :)

Third, are there any VoIP providers that I can have Asterisk talk to natively
(i.e. via IAX or SIP, not the way I have Vonage set up now)?  I'd be looking
for a Chicago land number (630 specifically).  I looked at VoicePulse, but
they don't have any local numbers.

Thanks for your help!
Brian