[Asterisk-Users] Re: VMware, * and SJphone ... newbie

Jennings, Mike Mike.Jennings at AGEDWARDS.com
Thu Mar 4 07:41:52 MST 2004

Thanks for the response.  I realize that I should do some more debugging and
include error messages in my questions.  As far as routing, the host can
ping the guest.  I'm using bridge mode in VMware.
I'm going to try and debug SIP while I try and connect and see if I get an
error with *.  SJphone was just saying that there was an "unknown error"
when trying to do a SIP registration.

From: Jim Rosenberg <jr at amanue.com>
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] VMware, * and SJphone ... newbie

> I've read and tried a LOT of sample config's for sip.conf and
> extensions.conf and no matter what I do I get registration error's when
> trying to get SJphone registered to my * server.  I have a XP VMware host
> with Redhat 9 / * as a guest.  The SJphone is on the host XP trying to
> register with the guest Redhat/* server.
>
> Any suggestions?  I think I'm just missing something stupid.

I'm used to the idea of using VMWare so that the adult operating system is
the host, and the toxic delinquent is the guest, rather than vice versa, as
you have it, so this may not pertain.

Check routing!!!

Do you have network connectivity between the host and guest *generally*?
How do you have your networking set up? When Linux is the host, guests can
be set up in a variety of configurations -- NAT, bridge, etc. With Linux as
the host, routed can be somewhat cranky at routing from your host LAN to
NATted VMs. Can you ping your host from the guest?

This may not be an Asterisk issue at all. It might be a networking issue.

A.G. Edwards & Sons' outgoing and incoming e-mails are electronically
archived and subject to review and/or disclosure to someone other
than the recipient.