[Asterisk-Users] H.323 ASN.1 Vulnerabilities: Request for "official" patch!

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.com
Wed Mar 3 19:26:16 MST 2004

To recap:

1. Security vulnerabilities have been found in the ASN.1 parsing of *many*
H.323 implementations. Some security experts consider them quite serious,
others don't.

2. OpenH323 *was* vulnerable when the announcement was made. (About a month
and a half ago, or so.)

3. The OpenH323 folks patched their code quite quickly. I belive that to
obtain their fix you need to check code out of CVS.

4. If you visit asterisk.org, follow "the usual" download instructions, and
build in H.323 support, your resulting Asterisk *WILL* be vulnerable.

5. Integrating a "fixed" version of OpenH323 with Asterisk is not
straightforward. (I at least have not been able to get this to work.)

6. There is (in my opinion) *widespread misunderstanding* on this issue.
E.g., I had Digium support try to convince me that Asterisk was not
vulnerable.

I would like to make a public appeal to whoever is in position to do this
to issue an "official" patch -- and to update the asterisk.org website so
newbies get a fixed version when they download and build in H.323 support.
Please please please ...

-T.i.A., Jim