[Asterisk-Users] Ringing Delay

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 3 11:01:04 MST 2004

Brian Mulligan wrote:

>Sorry if this is a daft question but when a PSTN call comes in on my
>X100P the console shows the following;
>
>NOTICE[1217602880]: File chan_zap.c, Line 4456 (ss_thread): Got event 2
>(Ring/Answered)...
>NOTICE[1217602880]: File chan_zap.c, Line 4456 (ss_thread): Got event 2
>(Ring/Answered)...
>NOTICE[1217602880]: File chan_zap.c, Line 4456 (ss_thread): Got event 2
>(Ring/Answered)...
>NOTICE[1217602880]: File chan_zap.c, Line 4456 (ss_thread): Got event 2
>(Ring/Answered)...
>    -- Executing Dial("Zap/1-1", "Zap/2") in new stack
>    -- Called 2
>    -- Zap/2-1 is ringing
>    -- Zap/2-1 is ringing
>WARNING[1217602880]: File chan_zap.c, Line 2979 (zt_handle_event):
>Didn't finish Caller-ID spill.  Cancelling.    -- Zap/2-1 is ringing
>    -- Zap/2-1 answered Zap/1-1
>    -- Attempting native bridge of Zap/1-1 and Zap/2-1
>    -- Hungup 'Zap/2-1'
>  == Spawn extension (incoming, s, 1) exited non-zero on 'Zap/1-1'
>    -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'
>

>AS indicated, the call is switched to the context [incoming] which is
>configured as follows;
>
>[incoming]
>exten=> s,1,Dial,Zap/2
>
>The extension rings but not until the incoming line has rung three
>times. If I hang-up the external line before the extension is answered
>then the extension continues to ring three more times. Clearly, if I
>pick up the extension during this time then nobody is there!
>
>I would like the extension to ring immediately when the call comes in.
>Despite my best efforts I cannot find a configuration element which
>addresses it. Could it be my hardware just being too slow?
>
>Thanks
>Brian

Brian,

AFAIK the delay is caused by the way the X100P detects ringing.. If you
are using digital lines (ISDN) then there is a signal to tell the device
connected to the line that it is ringing but with an analog line this is
not the case..

So the X100P basically looks for the "swings" on the line that indicate
that it is ringing, it goes through about 3 of them before it answers to
avoid "phantom" calls which used to happen a lot and were very
irritating especially in the middle of the night.. So what you are
experiencing is normal..

Later..