[Asterisk-Users] Does it exist - DNS "TX" record?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Mar 2 12:24:37 MST 2004

At 10:25 PM +1100 3/2/04, Duane wrote:
>Chris Lee wrote:
>
>>If the details of this server were in my DNS then anyone trying to
>>call someone at cybericom.co.uk could find the server to make the
>>connection with.
>
>Yes DNS has a TXT field, but in this case I think you're after ENUM.164,
>
>See the following URLs for details about ENUM:
>
>http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-ENUM
>http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+E164+Call+Routing
>
>however the problem with enum is the lack of wide spread deployment...
>
>Which has annoyed myself and others to try and think of a solution
>to deploy our own enum zone, but without conflicting with existing
>numbers, as using pots numbering would have 1 or 2 side effects,
>firstly people lie and abuse systems. Technically you could get
>people singing up with phone numbers for the white house.
>
>Using pots numbers could lead to serious privacy issues for
>individuals, businesses want people to find them, individuals might
>not want their phone number linked with their email, web address and
>so on and so forth and easily handed over to any and all that do a
>DNS lookup on their phone number.
>
>So what do you do? Well myself and a few friends bashed our heads
>together then started reading through a ton of ITU information about
>international direct dialling prefixes and found +882 is set aside
>for international bodies (companies) that provide communications
>such as satellite phones and the like. From that range ITU allocates
>sub prefixes 00 to 99 so far they're up to 34.
>
>Long story short this is the area most likely to be given to any
>sort of parallel system trying to get an enum service running.
>
>We've hacked up a few webpages to inject dns entries into mysql
>which power dns then spits out on request.
>
>To try this or even just to have a curious look go to:
>
>http://e164.freenetworks.org
>
>A lot of the work on this is for the benefit of community wireless
>groups, but is also useful for the wider internet community as well.
>
>--
>Best regards,
>  Duane

Are you aware of the +878 "country" code and the UPT (Universal
Personal Telecommunications) project?

http://www.visionng.org/index.htm
http://www.visionng.org/enum/Request_for_Temporary_Assignment_of_UPT_Numbers.pdf&e=7413

As an example, I can be reached on +878102843336600 which is
available via an e164.arpa. ENUM lookup.  This is only now coming out
of "beta" mode and into real production, but you may find it more
reasonable to use a number range that has been correctly allocated
rather than simply hijacking one that may in the future not be routed
in ways that you expect or desire.

JT