[Asterisk-Users] Hotel and wireless questions

Maron Kristófersson maron at transistor.tv
Mon Mar 1 14:26:44 MST 2004

Hello!

I am considering deploying asterisk for use in 3 hotels (run as one
company) in downtown Reykjavik, with a total of 100 rooms.  The hotels
are connected with a wireless link (802.11) since they are quite close
to each other, the link has been very stable, about 2 hours downtime for
the last 10 months.  What I'm interested in achieving is using 1 *
server for all hotels, but I would consider having 1 in each location if
it is considered more stable.

I'm in the process of convincing people now that asterisk is a safe bet
for the hotels.  The biggest concern people have is voice quality (The
idea is to use budgetone 102 phones on the rooms) and stability.  I've
seen some references to hotels on the list.

I would be very thankful if those who have already setup asterisk in
hotels would like to share they're experiences, gains, pitfalls and if
guests have had any problems after switching.

Does anybody have asterisk running over wireless links, is it causing
any problems?

I will of course be posting my experiences if asterisk will be the
chosen solution, and hopefully contribute some code and AGI scripts as
well.

Best regards,

Maron Kristofersson
Reykjavik