[Asterisk-Users] Anyone using gr303?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Wed Jun 30 06:18:31 MST 2004

Rich Adamson wrote:

> Anyone have any experience using gr303?
>
> May have a need to interface * to a Siemens Class-5 CO for pstn
> trunking (inbound and outbound).

I looked into this a couple of weeks back (check the list archives).
There is preliminary GR-303 support in Asterisk CVS, but it appears to
be for Asterisk to talk to GR-303 access concentrators, not for Asterisk
to act as one.

I too am interested in this, as I suspect we could get better rates and
more flexible service from our CLEC if we used GR-303 instead of PRI.
However, from my reading of the GR-303 spec, it appears that GR-303
assumes a very tight "coupling" between the switch and the access
concentrator, to the point of having the access concentrator
configuration and reconfiguration actually handled _through_ the switch.
If that's the case, I don't know if it will ever make sense for Asterisk
to use GR-303 to communicate with a class 5 switch; more likely we'll
want Asterisk to gain SS7 support and that will take care of it (along
with many other benefits).