[Asterisk-Users] linux kernel 2.6.6

Robert Withrow bwithrow at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Jun 29 13:08:23 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 14:52, Kevin Walsh wrote:
> Robert Withrow [bwithrow at nortelnetworks.com] wrote:
> > Do you have CVS ebuilds?  That would make it a lot easier for us Gentoo
> > folks.
> >
> There'd have to be a release before that happens. :-)

No, there are "cvs" ebuilds that fetch the latest from CVS and then do
the right thing with it.  I just thought you might have created them
already.  There is a Gentoo bug already asking for these.

> Just get the latest source from CVS and type "make" and "make install".
> It's almost as easy as an emerge and doesn't take any more or less time.

Yes, but you don't get the Gentoo integration.

> An emerge would probably splatter files all over the filesystem, just
> like the default Asterisk install, whereas I prefer to have it all
> neatly under /opt/asterisk.  That's easily done when you're controlling
> the make, but emerge probably wouldn't provide a "tidy install" option.

Opinions vary no doubt, but I don't see any benefit to that.  The emerge
toolset (qpkg, etc.) is explicit where things go, and the result is
integrated with everything else in the system, including management
(/etc/init.d) and the consistent use of /var and /etc.  I don't want
multiple layouts on my system.

Anyway, this is going off-topic so it should probably stop here... ;-)

--
Robert Withrow, BWithrow at NortelNetworks.com, +1 978 288 8256, ESN 248