[Asterisk-Users] Re: Do people actually answer questions here?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Jun 29 08:29:45 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 10:11, Randy Bush wrote:
> > DO NOT USE GROUP REPLY!!!!!!!
>
> fat effing chance.  fix your mail system.  see a very large number
> of threads.  but as you seem unable to look up archives:-), try
> this in your .procmailrc
>
>     # prevent dupes
>     #
>     :0 Wh: msgid.lock
>     | formail -D 65536 msgid.cache

Maybe you need to think about the fact that when you do that, you toss
the second copy. The second copy is the one from the mailing list and
therefore the one with the mailing list headers that are sorted by. You
could just be considerate and do things "The Right Way"(tm)

> > Plain and simple, this is a complex subject matter, it WILL take
> > time to learn. There may not be quick answers for you unless it
> > is to hire someone else to do it for you. This is a fact of
> > life. Learning is not always easy. Many of us have spent a LARGE
> > sum of money on tools and documentation, and then there is the
> > amount of time.
>
> this is the cult of "this is a very complex area.  you need to pay
> us gurus to do it for you."  in my 40 years of computing i can not
> count the fields where i have seen the guru-friendly products and
> technologies go one of two ways, marginalization and failure or
> takeover by the massive companies who then marginalize the
> engineers.  i suggest you have another career path planned.

This isn't my career path. The problem is either you will have to spend
your time and money learning or your will spend your money on someone
else to do it for you. I prefer you learn it yourself, but your
impatience proves you probably won't.

> there are reasons there are so many repeated questions on this
> list.  some of the reasons are weakness in the documentation.  we
> can pretend this is not a problem and attack the questioners or
> those who try to discuss the weaknesses, or we can discuss how we
> might address them.  clearly you have made your choice.

Repeat questions in the same day are due to people not spending _ANY_
time on their research. repeat questions in the same month is the same
problem.