[Asterisk-Users] Do people actually answer questions here?

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Tue Jun 29 01:31:02 MST 2004

Jean-Yves Avenard [jean-yves.avenard at hydrix.com] wrote:
> I've only been watching this list for the past 2 days.
>
> And it seems to be an one way street:
> -Tell about your problems and what you would like to do.
>
> Usually no answer.
>
> I have to admit I'm rather disappointed with Asterisk, information is
> probably available but very hard to find ; it seems to be limited to a
> few privileged people for whom their job is setting up VoIP system

Personally, I only read about 20% of the articles in this list.
I delete whole threads based solely upon the Subject line, especially
when it's set to "(no subject)" or has no clear indication of content.

If I've read a couple of articles in a thread and have decided that
I'm not interested, I tend to blindly delete all followups.  This
means that if someone asks a new question by following up to an
existing thread then it'll probably get caught up in my mass delete
and won't be seen by me at all.  I said that I "tend to" do this,
I don't always do it - obviously. :-)

I also have very little interest in top-posted followups and HTML
emails, and often won't bother read past the first sentence.  This
is a response to the original posters' laziness rather than anything
else, although a couple of them will be of enough interest for me
to ignore these annoying breaches of netiquette and read the entire
article.

This is just my personal policy on the matter, but I suspect that
others do the same.  When you're subscribed to several high volume
mailing lists, there's not enough time to read everything.

Having said all of that, two days is not really enough time to monitor
a mail list before giving up on it.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz